Job title: MANAGING CONSULTANT
Company: FIRST STOP HR
1. Tell me a little bit about your current role: I see myself as a Change Agent. I help SME’s (between 1-250 employees) – sole traders who become first time employers and companies already employing staff to put employees at the heart of their company because employees are a company’s real competitive advantage. I also Chair Footballers disciplinaries (a challenge but I enjoy it) and work with Senior Police Officers - management teams (Metropolitan Police) on various areas inc recruitment and diversity
2. What are you most proud of in your HR career: Working in a male dominated senior environment and not being intimidate and being a black woman and one or three females who attend senior executive board meetings. Able to take on a challenge, thrown in the deep end and managing to swim the top without any armbands or a float. I am able to bring my effervescent personality to the table, hold the men to account and not be fazed by the male dominated environment.
3. What advice would you give to anyone starting their HR career: Do a business course like a Postgraduate in Management. You need to understand the business world as it is constnatly evolving. Do you really want a career in HR and if you do be prepared for the rollercoaster ride. HR isn’t pink and fluffy. Both public sector and private sector have very similar bureaucracy issues but they package it in different colourful paper. Don't believe the hype!
4. What would you like to be doing in 3 years time : Continuing my portfolio career and enjoying doing what I am passionate about. No point in going to work and hating every minute of it. Life is too short to be miserable
5, What do you feel is the most innovative or unique initiative you have introduced at work? A bullying and Harassment initiative for both managers and staff. It wasn’t the typical chalk and all talk, the recommendations were actually actioned!
6. Who has had the greatest influence over your career? Sorry I need to name two people. A lady called Beverley Thompson and my ex boss John Morison who saw something and believed in me and I still keep in touch with, he is my role model